<$BlogItemControl$>

Monday, June 06, 2005

 

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

As I mentioned last week, Friday night was date night. Beloved and I went to see the final instalment of the Star Wars saga. I don’t think I’ve said anything in this post that blows any major secrets, but be warned anyway – I don’t want to spoil it for anyone.

I can sum up my feelings pretty succinctly, for a change. It was excellent!

I don’t know whether I’ve finally given up expecting these latest episodes to measure up to the original Star Wars, or whether George Lucas has crafted a much better piece of cinema this time around, but I really enjoyed Revenge of the Sith. It has the charm, the wonder and the humanity that seemed to be lacking in Episodes I and II, and is an ultimately satisfying conclusion to a series that I hold quite dear to my heart.

I have to give Lucas props. Not only is he working under the scrutiny of a generation for tampering with its mythology, but he also manages to keep an audience spellbound even when they all know full well how the story comes out in the end.

Anakin’s descent to the dark side is believable and even compelling, but I don’t know what happened to Natalie Portman’s Padme. She went from being strong and smart in the first couple of movies to helpless and pining, and spends way too much of the movie looking pensively out the window.

I mentioned the other day that when I was a young girl I had a big thing for Luke Skywalker. As I got a little older, my affections roamed to Han Solo. Sorry boys, but there’s a new crush in town. Who would have guessed that Obi Wan Kenobi would curl my toes some day?

Ewan McGregor stole my heart in Moulin Rouge, but he sealed the deal as Obi Wan Kenobi. Hubba hubba. Somehow it seems appropriate that after all these years of loving Star Wars, I am left with a schoolgirl crush as the series ends.