<$BlogItemControl$>

Friday, March 02, 2007

 

Sesame Street

As seen first at Phantom Scribbler's place and soon thereafter throughout the Interwebs:

You Are Elmo

Sweet and innocent, you expect everyone to adore you. And they usually do!

You are usually feeling: Talkative. You've got tons of stories to tell. And when you aren't talking, you're laughing.

You are famous for: Being popular, though no one knows why. Middle aged women especially like you.

How you live your life: With an open heart. "Elmo loves you!"


Feh. Elmo? To be frank, Elmo annoys the shit out of me. I'd rather be Bert, or Oscar. Maybe Maria. Even Mr Snuffleupagus would be better than Elmo. Heck, anyone from the 1970s Sesame Street would be fine.

We are loving our vintage Sesame Street these days. I've said before that my mother is convinced I graduated magna cum laude from university because I watched two hours of Sesame Street every day when I was six years old, and I've always had a soft spot for it.

It was Andrea who got me looking on YouTube for vintage SS clips. We started here (still my number one favourite), and worked our way through the Ladybug's Picnic, the Pinball counter, the King of Eight, and this classic with the aliens and the ringing telephone. Simon and I have spent many quality hours with the laptop perched between us, watching these gorgeous old clips.

For Christmas, Beloved bought me the Sesame Street Old School DVD set, and it quickly became a family favourite. Maybe it's the comparison with some of the drivel that's on TV now, maybe it's the rose-coloured glasses of nostalgia, but holy crap are those old episodes ever good. I may have to stick a fork in my eye rather than endure another hour of Tom and Jerry or Scooby Doo, two other old skool favourites the boys have recently taken a shine to, but I could watch those old Sesame Street clips for hours and hours. I only wish there were more of the old episodes available.

And speaking of pirated clips of childhood joy on YouTube, if you're of a certain age and a certain geeky disposition, this clip of Luke Skywalker, C3P0, R2D2 and Chewbacca on Pigs In Space is worth watching at least once!

Suddenly it's 1977 all over again. (Yikes - that was THIRTY years ago. Man, I'm old.)

Labels: