<$BlogItemControl$>

Friday, November 25, 2005

 

This must be Friday, cuz it's a ramble

Ugh. I'm having a bad mommy day. Tristan has a fever, not a bad one, but a fever nonetheless. And I'm at work. And I'm sending him to daycare. Bad mommy. Bad.

If it were Simon, I'd keep him home. But, Tristan gets fevers with such frequency that we're a little blasé about them. Stomach virus? Fever. Getting a cold? Fever. Bumped his head? Fever. Doesn't want lasagne for dinner? Fever.

So really, when he started heating up again last night, I wasn't concerned. We kept an eye on him through the night, and the fever seemed to come and go, and is around 38C this morning. I have a pretty full plate today, and so does Beloved. To me, lethargy and clinginess are much bigger warnings sign than fever - at least for Tristan. Other than the fever he seems fine, and the fever is responding to the tylenol, so we made the executive decision to send him to Bobbie's.

And I feel awful. Oh the guilt. I'm trying not to think about it, so of course I blog about it.

Matter of fact, let's talk about something else.

Hey, I didn't tell you about my awesome blogger coffee date this week, did I? In my quest to meet all the Canadian Bloggers Named Andrea (not really), I had coffee with Andrea from a peek inside the fishbowl. It was hard not to fawn over her, as there are just so many things to admire about her: she's very quick witted, she's been blogging in one form or another since 1999, she does all her own designs, she's been published in real magazines and newspapers, and she's nice as the day is long. I'm thinking about starting a fan club! (And no, this isn't just because she said nice things about me first.) We'll be working together in the new year, and I'm really looking forward to it. (Edited to add: and yes, Dave was there for coffee too. Dave is just as nice, but not as cool because he doesn't have his own blog. Yet.)

Speaking of new things, I bought a pomegranate this week. I have to admit, I have previously been intimidated by this inscrutable fruit. I think I remember having some of the seeds at a friend's house when I was a kid, but I wouldn't know a pomegranate from a kumquat except that they are both funny words to say.

But you see, the big display of pomegranates in the grocery store came with little instruction books, and I coudn't resist. A fruit that comes with directions - it's like the grocery gods are speaking directly to me. I think this is an excellent new trend in marketing. I think EVERYTHING in the grocery store should have a little booklet explaining how to best open, cook, serve or compliment this particular product.

No more opening coconuts with a screwdriver (it really doesn't work very well, and there is an elevated risk of puncturing your calf. Not that I know this from personal experience, of course.)

No more trying to make guacamole out of unripened avocados (even when you use a blender and then add half a container of sour cream to improve the texture and then have to add green food colouring, it's still pretty much hopeless.)

No more saying, "Hot peppers? How hot can they be?" and then submerging your tongue into a half a jar of mayonaise because it's the only thing you could find in the fridge to stop the volcano that just erupted in your mouth.

I'm all for more directions, but maybe that's just because I need a little more help than the average bear.

Oh, and if you're still reading, you might as well click over to the Canadian Blog Awards and cast your votes. (hint hint) It's a new day, you can experience the thrill of voting for your rambliest Canadian blogger all over again!!