<$BlogItemControl$>

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

 

My 15 minutes in Chatelaine

Thanks to my colleague Rebecca, who was the first to realize that the Chatelaine article I mentioned is already posted online! No more skulking around the magazine racks at every grocery store and news stand in town, waiting for the paper copy to arrive. Er, not that I was doing that, of course.

Anyway, it's with great pleasure and excitement (and a certain lack of subtlety) that I happily point you toward the article in the online May edition of Chatelaine magazine, In vitro we trust - coming soon to a paper edition near you! In my humble opinion, even past the bits that feature me, it's a well balanced and informative article about the state of reproductive technologies in Canada. It's quite long, though - nine screens' worth - so grab a cup of your beverage of choice before you settle in if you want to read the whole thing.

There's nothing about our story that you haven't already read here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here (shameless, aren't I?) but it still tickles me to see it all laid out like that in somebody else's words. I was pleased to see that the article manages to shout out both boys and blog by name (sadly, without a direct link. Oh well.)

Even though we knew it was coming and discussed it in advance, I still cringed just a bit when I saw the bit outing Beloved's low sperm count. We've come a long way from the days immediately after our diagnosis, when we could barely discuss it between ourselves. By now, of course, he has become rather acclimatized to me discussing our most intimate moments with the widest possible audience - in blog, on national TV (not once, but twice!) and now in a national magazine as well. He took it in stride, and in fact insists I correct the record by clarifying that it's not so much that his sperm are not copious, but that (in his words, not mine) they are "stupid". The fertility doctors used the slightly more clinical term, "of impaired morphology", but you get the point.

All this to say, in my usual belaboured and roundabout way, that I'm terribly proud to be featured in the article. In case you hadn't gleaned that from my oh-so-understated neon billboard of a post about it.

Labels: , ,