<$BlogItemControl$>

Friday, March 11, 2005

 

Caught in the Web

I’m still fascinated by the way the Internet brings us together.

The woman who works in the cube next to me just got an e-mail from her first boyfriend. She hasn’t heard from him in 30 years, but she saw his name in an online article and found a way to contact him. He lives in South America and married her best friend – they met through my colleague. It’s sweet to see how excited she is.

Before Christmas, I got a call from an old high school girlfriend. I haven’t spoken to her in ten years, but she had a dream about me and used Canada411 to find me. She called me up out of the blue one day, and we’ve been corresponding ever since.

The same thing happened to Beloved a couple of years ago. His best friend from high school was thinking about him and Googled him. Through the search returns, he found a company Beloved used to work for and they were nice enough to forward the message.

So not only does the Internet bring new people into our lives, it helps us track down old friends, too. Have you used the Internet to track down an old friend? Or maybe you’ve searched for gossip about someone for whom you feel a little less love? (Okay, I admit it, I have on occasion Googled my ex-husband… nothing scandalous, sadly.) Share your stories, it’s Friday after all.