<$BlogItemControl$>

Sunday, April 10, 2005

 

Let's go to the movies!

Ann over at The Mother of All Blogs has asked for our nominees on the best and worst of film parents. After puzzling until my puzzler was sore, and then puzzling some more, here's my contribution. I have been diligently not reading some of my favourite blogs this weekend so as to not prejudice my choices, so I hope there are no repeats.

Best movie dad: Marlin from Finding Nemo. He's a little neurotic, but he's tenacious and he'll turn the ocean inside out to find his son, and in the end he learns that letting go is as important as holding tight. How can you not love him?

Best movie mom: this one was by far the most difficult category for me, but I finally settled a tie between Cher in the 1985 movie Mask and the wonderful mother from A Christmas Story. I haven't seen Mask since it came out in theatres (and I was only about 15 at the time) but I remember her as an unconventional mom doing the best she can in rough circumstances. And the mom from A Christmas Story because I still think of her to this day when I am dealing with my fussy eaters and cupboard-hiders. And (sorry to belabour this - told you I had a hard time deciding) I also have to give honourable mention to the mother in E.T. for demonstrating that love means you just go with the flow sometimes, even if it's a little out of your realm of experience.

Meanest movie dad: another tie (call me indecisive) between the father of Neil Perry in Dead Poets Society and Jack Torrence in The Shining. The former broke my heart and the latter scared the bejezus out of me when I was a kid. "Heeeeeeeeeeere's JACK!"

Meanest movie mom: had to go with the evil stepmother from Cinderella on this one. Honourable mention goes to Anne Bancroft in The Graduate. I used to be all "how could you?" until I started to creep toward a certain age and began relating more to the mother than the daughter...

Most nauseating movie dad: I couldn't come up with one, but when I asked Beloved for his opinion, he didn't miss a beat before nominating Richard Dreyfuss' character in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I feel a little disloyal nominating this film, as it's one of my all-time faves, but Beloved surprised me with the depth of his emotion as he went on about how Roy Neary completely abdicates responsibility to his wife and his kids when he becomes obsessed with the aliens.

Most nauseating movie mom: Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind. Just about everything Scarlett does irriates me, so this was a pretty easy choice.

And finally...
Character who most reminds me of myself: Indiana Jones from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I know, I know, you were thinking the same thing, right? Okay, for real, the answer to this question is more like an amalgam of every character Drew Barrymore ever played, with a little bit of Ally Sheedy's character from The Breakfast Club thrown in to the mix.

What do you think?


Categories: