<$BlogItemControl$>

Friday, July 15, 2005

 

10,000 maniacs

Back on February 2, I posted my very first blog entry. I wondered, in considering whether to blog or not, "What if I install a hit counter and I have to spend all my free time hitting refresh so it looks like somebody is reading my blog?"

Well, either I've got waaaaaay too much time on my hands to play with that refresh button, or at least a few of you have been coming back to help me move the hit counters along. Today we should trip over a nice little milestone: 10,000 hits in just under six months. Not too shabby, eh? Of course, we are far too sophisticated around here to obsess over something as plebian as hit counts. No really, I haven't been anticipating this magic number for weeks now, honest I haven't.

Okay, yes I have. Why do numbers matter anyway? Why do I think 10,000 is cooler than 9,912? Because the zeros are all so round and appealing?

I am, quite frankly, amazed. I'm amazed at the response to blog - amazed that you are here, that you keep coming back. I am amazed that I kept up with this, amazed that with a few exceptions, I have posted fresh material at least five times a week since I started this back in February. I am amazed at how much your feedback means to me, amazed at how much of a difference you make in my life every day. I am amazed at how much I love this blog.

When I started blogging, I did it for me. I was curious, and not uncomfortable with the idea of talking to myself. To my astonishment, some of you were listening. And then you started talking back. And from that moment, I was hooked. Now I do it for you, and for me. I always think of you when I blog, which some consider to be a bloggy faux pas nearly as heinous as hit counting. But oh well. If I'm happy and you're happy, we can be heinous together.

Scroll down, the hit counter is at the bottom of the page. Are we there yet? You can bet I'll be watching on and off all day. Heck, it's Friday after all!

To pass time on this auspicious (now I'm pushing it, aren't I?) day, I've stolen this from Andrea and Running2K:

Please leave a one-word comment that you think best describes me. It can only be one word. No more. Then copy & paste this in your blog so that I may leave a word about you.

Happy 10,000 day!

Categories: