<$BlogItemControl$>

Sunday, August 14, 2005

 

Holy crap, it worked!

We are on hour five of big boy undies. I'm so proud! Surprised, not quite sure how we got here, but proud nonetheless. (Yes, it's rare for me to blog on a Sunday, but this parenting thing turned out to be a 24/7 kind of job.) Once again, pardon the euphemisms, but the google traffic on bodily functions creeps me out.

When he woke up this morning, Tristan remembered yesterday's conversation about metal Thomas and Annie and Claribel. He had p'd overnight in his diaper, but told me he needed to P in the potty about an hour after he got up. Thinking, "in for a penny, in for a pound" I told him after he went that I had a surprise for him, and hauled out the Bob the Builder undies I had bought in a fit of unwarranted optimism maybe six or eight months ago. Despite the healthy coating of dust, Tristan was suitably impressed, and has been running about the house ever since in his Scoop skivvies.

I went for a run to WalMart and picked up some star stickers and some back-up undies. I like ÜberGeek's suggestion a few weeks ago of buying the cheapest undies you can find (can anyone explain to me why I can buy 3 pairs for $5.41 or 6 pairs for $6.58?) and just tossing them rather than dealing with cleaning a poopy accident. While I was gone, Tristan had asked to poop in the potty, and has since p'd again as well.

We instituted a star sticker system, where he gets two stickers for a P and three for a poop. When he runs out of stickers, we'll take the page in and trade it for a metal Thomas and Annie and Claribel.

So far so good. But alas, I've become jaded in my old age. Things are never this easy. Aren't you thrilled to be living this vicariously with us?