<$BlogItemControl$>

Thursday, August 04, 2005

 

Ten years ago today - still Heidelberg

I dedicate this post to ÜberGeek, who said, "Enough with the Germany stuff already. I've heard all these stories already." Because some stories are worth hearing more than once. This might not be one of them, but we'll never know if we don't try!

6:45 pm, 4 August 1995
On the bank of the Neckar River, Heidelberg, Germany


It's been another good day in Heidelberg. Started with breakfast at the Hardrock Café with my roommate Deena from Southern California (Ed. note: Kay, maybe you know her?) We had a beer last night, and breakfast this morning before she was off to somewhere, I've already forgotten where.

I spent a couple of hours touring the Heidelberg Castle and grounds today. The tourbook I picked up today provided a great guide. There's this huge gate in the courtyard called the Elisabethentor, and it was built by Prince Elector Friedrich V in 1615, or something to that effect, for his love, Elisabeth Stuart of England. It really caught my fancy. Such a frivolous thing to do, but such a romantic gesture. I'd like to have a stone arch built for me!

After wandering around aimlessly again (it's what I do best) I stopped at an outdoor café for dinner. There was this great busker-style street band playing right in front of me. Four guys in an a-capella style, but with a bit of rhythm from a guitar, tambourines, bongos and occasionally kazoos. They completely captured the crowd's attention, and seemed to be having such a good time. Sucker that I am for souvenirs and a good cause, I bought one of their CDs - a demo, I assume. I hope it's as good as their street music, but I won't know until I get home.


Categories: