<$BlogItemControl$>

Friday, August 12, 2005

 

Ten years ago today - still Rome

Today's entry is only half an entry. My pen ran out and in the intervening ten years, I never got around to finishing it.

10:12 am, 12 August 1995
In the Colosseum (again)

Surely I will melt into nothing but a pile of cotton clothing and tour brochures in this unending, incessant, infernal heat. The air itself doesn't even seem particularly hot, but I sweat and sweat and become more and more impatient with the heat. No wonder all the shops and services close from 12 or 1 pm to 3 or 4 in the afternoon, or sometimes as late as 5 or 6. No one wants to be out in the mid-day Roman sun.

In 15 minutes, I'll be joining an archeological tour of the Colosseum, then I'm off to explore the ruins of the Roman Forum. Yesterday, with 80,000 of my closest friends, I toured the Vatican - St Peter's Basillica, the Vatican Museums and of course, the Sistine Chapel. The Sistine Chapel was even more breathtaking than I expected it to be. The fresco with the hand of God reaching...

(ed. note: that's where I ran out of ink. But I remember that I liked the fresco, so for the sake of closure, let's end that sentence with "was nice.")

Categories: