<$BlogItemControl$>

Sunday, September 04, 2005

 

You can help

I've had tears in my eyes for days, reading and watching the coverage of the disaster in Louisiana and Mississipi. I am simply flummoxed that a storm, no matter how powerful, could rend such damage. As I did for 9/11 and the tsunami, I pulled out my credit card and made a donation to the Red Cross... but it just doesn't seem like enough.

Then I read this incredible post from my friends (and I use that term with sincerity and respect and affection) over at Been There. They're taking real action by acting as a clearing house to link people starting over with people who might have clothes, supplies, books or toys to donate. There's another post showing how ordinary Americans are opening up their homes to take in people who have lost everything, people who have to start their lives over again.

Edited September 2 to add: Suzanne at Mimilou posted a link to Hurricane Housing, another way those who have can help those who need.

Edited September 3 to add: And if you think your little contribution won't make a difference, you MUST read this beautiful story on Been There. Warning: you'll need kleenex.

I want to pin this post at the top for a while, so scroll down for new posts.

Do what you can. There but for the grace of God go I - or you.