<$BlogItemControl$>

Monday, October 03, 2005

 

Wigglemania

I don't think I've ever seen such an excellent summer of concerts as the summer of 2005 in Ottawa. We've had everyone from Harry Connick Jr and Diana Krall to Pearl Jam and the Rolling Stones to Matthew Good and the Tea Party. Every time I turned on the radio (oh how I miss my CBC Radio One!) I was hearing about another band that I kind of knew a couple of their songs who were coming to Ottawa.

The one big show that I really wanted to see was U2, but the Web site crashed when 85,000 people tried to log in at the same time to buy the hottest ticket in town. After spending the summer sulking about it, I have come to terms with the fact that I won't be seeing U2 in November with 30,000 of my closest friends.

What I will be seeing, however, is... the Wiggles! Tristan was never a huge Wiggles fan, but Simon loves them. (More specifically, Simon loves anything to do with music and will take any opportunity to dance.)

When I got home from BC last month, Beloved pointed out an ad in the paper saying that tickets would go on sale the next day. When I cancelled one meeting and begged off another so I could hover over my keyboard when tickets went on sale at 10:00 am, I was probably subconciously trying to make atonement for 'abandoning' the boys for four days earlier in the week.

Finally able to let go my anger over the U2 ticket fiasco, I was thrilled with the results of my frantic refreshing and lightning-fast reflexes. I felt like mother of the year. I had scored FLOOR SEATS! (Can you imagine trying to corral two preschooler in the nose-bleed seats, with a 50 degree incline and 200 feet to the arena floor below? Yikes.)

And then the payment screen came up. And it was no longer priceless. In fact, it was downright expensive. The price of maternal guilt is apparently $196.20.

I'm such a sucker.