<$BlogItemControl$>

Thursday, November 17, 2005

 

Comfort food

To me, junk food is comfort food. If I'm in a pissy mood, or particularly stressed, junk food makes me feel better. I'm particular, though. I'm not too fond of pies or pastries, not a chocolate kind of girl, not even a big fan of ice cream.

That's why when I saw an article - front page and above the fold, no less - in yesterday's Citizen that said that eating a small sugary snack actually reduces the stress hormones in your system, I thought they were talking directly to me.

The article mentions two snacks in particular - a Tim Horton's doughnut, and a can of Coke Classic. Both have about 200 calories, just the right amount of sugar to combat those nasty stress hormones. (The article even confirms what I have long suspected, that artificial sweetners just don't make the cut. It has to be real sugar.)

It's as if they were reading my mind... in my world of junk food as anti-depressant, a Timmy's chocolate glazed or an indulgently fizzy cold Coke would be two of my top three choices. The third, for what it's worth, is a jumbo sized bag of Lay's ruffled barbeque potato chips.

(Digression: it has been five, maybe six months since I've quit Weight Watchers, and if you google "Tim Horton WW points", blog continues to be the number one search return. This is my legacy for the Internet.)

It's been a rough couple of weeks, and I have to admit, I've indulged in each of my top three comfort food faves more than once recently. The good news is, at least they're all under $2.00 a piece. It might not be great for my waistline, but at least I'm not blowing the kids' inheritance.

What say ye, oh wise bloggy friends? What's the balm for your soul on a bad day? Vintage red wine? Mashed potatoes and gravy? Fancy truffles that cost $8 each? Beer by the litre?

Sorry, you'll have to type a little louder, these bbq chips are making quite the racket...

Categories: