<$BlogItemControl$>

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

If it's raining, we must be camping

I need you, bloggy friends! I need your ideas, and I need your good wishes.

First, your ideas: we are going camping this weekend. It's our second annual free camping weekend, and this year my brother, sister-in-law, 18 month old nephew, and the four of us will be joined by my mother and father - all in a one-bedroom cottage. One of those adventures that you just know we'll be talking about for years, whether with affection or rolling eyes.

The weather forecast is not so good. Probability of rain varies from 80% to 60% to 100% over the three days we'll be there. Yikes! (If we are ever having a drought of biblical proportions, just let me know and I'll go camping. I don't think I've gone camping once in the past 10 years that it hasn't rained. The smell of rain in the morning invariably reminds me of camping.)

But what I really need, my bloggy friends, is ideas on what to eat. I'm not much of a camping person (thus the whole 'camping in a cabin' thing) and you know I'm not much of a cook. So besides the de riguer hot-dogs burnt on an open flame, can you give me any easy to buy for, store, prepare and clean-up-after camping food ideas? Elsewise we're going to be eating a lot of Fritos this weekend, with maybe some apples thrown in for balance. And, of course, enough marshmallows that it will be another full year before I can even consider looking at them, let along eating them, again. And yes Marla, I did google camp recipes, but last time I tried a recipe off the Internet we ended up ordering pizza for dinner anyway.

And the other thing? At about 8:30 this morning, I'm going to be subjecting myself to yet another French test. This one is for all the marbles. Souhaitez-moi bien, s'il vous plait! (Or, you can wish me 'merde' if you must. It's tradition, I know, but I still don't get it.)

Bonus conversation:

Tristan: Girls suck and boys rock!

Me (sweetly): You know, Tristan, mommy is a girl.

Tristan: Well then YOU SUCK!

So much for mommy's boy...

Labels: