Thursday, July 27, 2006


The emotional gamut that is the two-week wait

It's been a week since frostie became toastie - or, as Beloved has christened it, "Stickie". We're half way to resolution and I'm finding the wait much harder than I expected.

I know, I'm not exactly famous for my patience in the first place, but I kind of figured that I would have less emotional investment this time around. I mean, either outcome is wonderful - on one hand, we have a gorgeous family with just the four of us. On the other hand, we have a gorgeous family that is 25 per cent more - therefore 25 per cent more gorgeous - than before. I can't lose.

And yet, I have spent a lot of time fretting. And flying. And fretting. And flying. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm developing a theory on the two-week wait, because I've had a little bit too much time in my head to think about it. The two-week wait allows you to experience every single possible emotion on the spectrum, from elation to desolation, just to prepare you for any possible eventuality when you take that pregnancy test.

I started out pretty confident that Frostie>Toastie>Stickie had implanted, and I was pregnant. I had nothing to base it on but my own instincts, which have been pretty good about predicting actual pregnancies, but not so good at predicting gender. (I was gobsmacked to find out my babies were boys both times - I had been sure they were each a girl when I was pregnant.) I spent most of the weekend blissfully imagining how the next nine months might pass with me pregnant, and passed idle time considering how we'd arrange Tristan's room into a shared room for the boys, and checked out other people's mini-vans every time we drove somewhere.

I've slowly slid down the confidence scale to the point where I'm now fairly sure that it didn't work. Why? Because I've spent WAY too much time in my head, that's why. I don't feel any pregnancy symptoms yet, although the deeply repressed logical part of my brain keeps insisting that at a full week before my period is due, there simply aren't any symptoms to be felt.

Every couple of hours, I'll have a random surge of confidence, and the gyroscope in my brain will announce it worked and I am pregnant. The alignment of dust motes in Namibia will cause a ripple in the Force a few hours later, and my emotional barometer will plummet, convincing me that the cycle has failed and menstruation is imminent.

It's all becoming rather tiresome, to be honest.

At least it's not as bad as the two-week wait with the IVF that resulted in Tristan. I had a toxic reaction to the estradiol level in my blood from the follicle stimulating hormones, and developed Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, a potentially serious condition that causes fluid to gather in your ovaries. Pregnancy excerbates the condition, and when my OHSS symptoms started to abate about five days after we transferred two embryos, I was so sure that the cycle failed I cried for days - including a rather embarrassing breakdown at the clinic when they told me my OHSS had cleared up enough that I didn't need to come in for daily monitoring any more. In my hormone-addled brain, no OHSS = no pregnancy.

That was around six days after transfer, pretty close to where I am now. And then, three days after that at nine days post transfer, I started to feel sick and bloated, and when late in the day I started having trouble drawing a breath, I called the doctor on call to check in. He ordered me to the ER and to make a long story short, we found out that night that I was pregnant. (We found out two weeks later it was twins, and lost one of the twins two weeks after that. The whole story is here, if you haven't read it yet.)

And all that means pretty much nothing. I just have to wait. And wait. And wait. Did I mention I'm not so good with the waiting?

I'm thinking of buying some bulk home pregnancy tests from the Extraordinary Baby Shoppe - they're only four for five dollars, plus the freebie from my great OPK adventure. I could start testing on Monday, but I'm just not sure if I could handle a full week of negative HPTs. I saw enough negatives in our years of infertility, thank you.

But hey, was that a twinge in my left breast? Maybe it's a little tender? Or, maybe not. Maybe it's tender because I keep groping it, trying to see if it's tender.

Argh. I really hate waiting.

Labels: ,