<$BlogItemControl$>

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 

Audrey Hepburn I ain't

So this may come as a surprise to you, but I'm not much of a fashionista. You're shocked, aren't you? (Okay, stop laughing.)

I'll admit, just about everything I know about style and fashion I get from What Not To Wear. That's how I learned to stop wearing faded denim cropped tight at the ankle and get on board with my now beloved if ill-fitting wide-leg, low-rise, dark-wash jeans. The one message that has been drilled into my head over the past few years is that skinny-leg pants are evil. EVIL!

That's why I was so alarmed the other day when we were watching the premier of Survivor and this ad for GAP's latest look came on. If you can't see it on YouTube, you can see it on GAP's home page, too.

I must admit, I cried bitter, salty tears when I saw it. Of all this season's fashion trends (more of that horrid puffy skirt, the big ruffled shirt, 80s shoulder pads and leg warmers) could you imagine one that would make a chubby pregnant woman of advanced maternal age look more ridiculous than skinny black jeans?