<$BlogItemControl$>

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 

A Happy Halloween

The boys had a terrific halloween, and by extension, so did I.

A few thoughts on halloween this year:
  • I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I heard that Tristan's school had a 'no costumes' policy. The kids are invited to wear black and orange, but costumes are not allowed. I was disappointed just because I remember the great fun of wearing a costume to school - the excitement, the sense of a special day, the thrill of seeing what the other kids were wearing.

  • I can also understand why they did it - it levels the playing field for the kids who might not be able to afford a fancy costume, I guess.

  • Speaking of fancy costumes, I got sucked in myself. Even though I nearly choked when I saw the price tag attached to Tristan's Scooby Doo costume, when I amortized it over three kids I could justify it. Plus, he really loves it.


  • Granny, who normally goes out of her way to give us a lift on Tuesdays anyway, dropped in to see the boys in costume between dinner and trick-or-treating. In his excitement to get his Fuzzy Caterpillar costume on Simon said, correctly, "Granny, you're going to LOVE this!"


  • The boys' excitement was infectious as we walked to a few houses on our street. It's hard to believe it's been 25 years since I felt that swell of excitement, walking up the laneway to a house obviously decked out for the occasion.


  • Is it just me, or is the upper threshold age for trick-or-treating getting higher each year? I swear, we had more than one young man whose voice was changing, and a few I had to look up to look into their eyes. There is such a thing as too old.

  • Then again, kids too young to read a "DON'T RING BELL - PLEASE KNOCK" sign probably shouldn't be trick-or-treating alone.

  • A lot of things are even more fun when you can share them with your brother.



***



This post launches my participation in NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posting Month. There's no way I could write a novel in the month of November, but since I'm already putting up at least one post a day on weekdays, it would be within the realm of the possible to post every single day. Besides, what else is worth doing in November?

Postcards from the Mothership - now with 20% more drivel!

Labels: ,