<$BlogItemControl$>

Monday, November 20, 2006

 

It's over - a miscarriage

I went in for a routine OB appointment today. I was delighted when she told me to hop up on the table so we could 'take a listen' - I had completely forgotten I should now be far enough along to hear the baby's heartbeat on the doppler.

Except she couldn't find it, and so we went to the ultrasound rooms on the other side of the clinic. I was still cracking jokes and cheerful - I just figured the baby was being stubborn.

She took two pictures, left and came back with an ultrasound tech. There was no heartbeat. The baby measures 14 weeks, but I should have been 16 weeks tomorrow. The very kind tech told me she could find no abnormalities, no reason the baby didn't survive. Just one of those things, I guess.

I have a d & c scheduled for Wednesday. I haven't been through something like this, so it's a little bit scary - but better than the alternative of waiting for nature to take its cruel course.

It's over. Four pregnancies, three lost souls. I thought by writing this down, it would snap me out of this bad dream, but it seems this is really happening.

Labels: