<$BlogItemControl$>

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

Worst commercial song appropriation ever

Beloved and I are watching American Idol on TV. Well, Beloved is watching it and I'm futzing about on the laptop, half paying attention.

A commercial comes on for Wendy's, the hamburger chain, and Beloved nearly chokes. I miss the visual, but the music running in the background is the Violent Femmes' Blister in the Sun.

Seriously.

It's not that I'm some boomer-wanna-be bemoaning the appropriation of the music of my youth; I just think if you're going to lift a song for its funky bass riff, you should at least think about what that song means to one of your major demographic groups. They're selling a squeaky-clean, family-friendly hamburger chain and they use that song? Tell me how these lyrics makes you crave a hamburger, fries and a frosty?

When I'm out walkin' I strut my stuff
Man, I'm so strung out
I'm high as a kite and I just might stop to check you out
Let me go on like I blister in the sun
Let me go on big hands I know you're the one
Body and heat I stain my sheets I don't even know why
My girlfriend she's at the end and she is starting to cry
Let me go on like I blister in the sun
Let me go on big hands I know you're the one

So that bit about "I stain my sheets" - that was from ketchup and mustard, was it?

I mean, seriously!

Labels: