<$BlogItemControl$>

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

 

Information overload

As usual, I consumed most of the newspaper on the bus on my ride to work this morning, and I have to tell you that the news was not good.

Aside from the fact that I now have a new big boss (holding off judgement on that for the time being) I read that Mattel has announced another massive toy recall for lead paint and dangerous toys. Then I read an article that says out of 250,000 births in Canada every year, as many as 1,700 babies suffer skull fractures or other traumatic injuries during birth. And to completely wreck my morning, a new study confirms that "eating large quantities of junk food when pregnant and breastfeeding could impair the normal control of appetite and promote an exacerbated taste for junk food in offspring."

Sigh. It's enough to make you want to crawl back into bed and hide there for a day or two, isn't it?

Since I went looking for it and you might want to do the same, here's the Mattel recalled toys list. It mostly affects Sarge from Pixar's Cars for lead paint, and some Batman, Barbie, Polly Pocket and other toys for dangerous magnets. We have a Sarge, but he's been with us since Christmas and the recall period is for Cars from May through August 2007. But still!

I mean, seriously, when you think of name-brand toys you can trust, don't you think of Fisher Price, and Barbie, and Mattel, and even Thomas the Tank Engine? These aren't dollar store junk toys, for goodness sake. I'd rant a little more on this topic, but Ann Douglas has a great article up over on Yahoo Parenting that says it far better than I ever could.

As for the birth injuries article, well, that just makes me feel a little bit better about my decision to go with the midwife. And about my consumption of junk food? I'll have to pause a moment to wipe the crust of honey cruller sugar from my fingers while I formulate a proper response to that one. In the meanwhile, I blame my mother.

The news isn't all bad, though. If you're looking for something a little more lighthearted, field reporter Fryman sends along this link to a photo gallery on the Globe and Mail's web site of roadside mascots, including the World's Largest Atlantic Salmon, Perogie, Fly Fishing Rod and - of course - Hockey Stick and Puck. Canadiana at it's best! How many of them have you seen? Wouldn't it make a great end-of-summer road trip to tour around and check them all out?

Labels: ,