<$BlogItemControl$>

Sunday, August 19, 2007

 

A very expensive (but fun!) Saturday

(Although Postcards from the Mothership is now live at http://danigirl.ca/blog, I'm continuing to cross-post for a couple of weeks until I get all the kinks out. See the original post at http://danigirl.ca/blog/2007/08/19/a-very-expensive-but-fun-saturday/)

We had a fun and adventure-filled but ghastly expensive day on Saturday.

In the morning, we visited the Ottawa debut of A Day Out With Thomas. Those of you who have been around for a while will remember the absolute magic of our first adventure with the Very Useful Engine, two years ago in St Thomas, Ontario.

Our latest adventure was not quite so magical, but a fun morning for the boys. In addition to a rather uninspired 30 minute train ride through some scrub and industrial land, there were train tables, temporary tatoos, arts and crafts, and of course, a giant gift shop filled with all things Thomas and Friends. Tristan's waning interest in the big blue engine was rekindled, but Simon has always been less of a fan than his brother. In the gift shop, he looked around for a while before asking, "But where are all the Star Wars toys?"

In the afternoon, we went with Granny and Papa Lou to one of my favourite summer traditions, the Ottawa SuperEx. While the SuperEx never lives up to what I loved about London's Western Fair from my childhood, I still look forward to it every year. I love the grease, the sleaze, the colours, the carnival food, the excess of it all.

The boys don't really need me to ride the merry-go-round with them anymore, but I still do.

Merry-go-round


But mostly, they ride by themselves.

Driving


I'm flying!


They weren't big enough to go on the bumper cars by themselves (they couldn't have reached the pedals even if they wanted to) but Beloved and Papa Lou were willing to go along for the ride. My mom and I watched from the lines and laughed the whole time - of the four of them, I honestly couldn't tell you which one was having more fun.

Bumper cars

Bumper cars


I think my favourite part of the SuperEx are the games of chance. My mom and I are usually pretty good at the squirtgun games, but this time it was Tristan who won his own stuffy.

Granny and Tristan


And no matter how expensive the day might have been, all the money in the world can't buy memories like these.

Bumper cars

Labels: ,