<$BlogItemControl$>

Thursday, August 23, 2007

 

Yay Day!

(Note: Although Postcards from the Mothership is now live at http://danigirl.ca/blog, I'm continuing to cross-post for a couple of weeks until I get all the kinks out. See the original post at http://danigirl.ca/blog/2007/08/23/yay-day-4/)

***


It's a dreary kind of day here, grey and threatening rain - not that I can see a window from here. And I have a cold that kept me up all night and so I might have otherwise been tempted to be a little cranky and feel just a little bit sorry for myself.

But then I started thinking about all the things that I have to be grateful about these days:


  • a healthy, happy pregnancy. (What they say about the second trimester being the "honeymoon trimester" really is true, isn't it?)


  • the new nanny. I don't know who is happier, the boys or Beloved and I. Not once has Simon said, "I don't want Jen to come over today" whereas he complained endlessly about going to the previous caregivers' houses.


  • a four-day weekend this weekend, and a four-day weekend next weekend. Yay!


  • as if a four-day Labour Day weekend weren't enough to celebrate all on its own, we're going on a mostly FREE weekend getaway to Smuggler's Notch resort in Vermont!! The media relations folks out there (Hi Karen and Barbara!) caught some of my posts about the trip to Bar Harbour in their 'family vacations' google filter, and they're doing an experimental blogger outreach campaign. They've offered us the standard press package, including two nights of accomodation - free! We've got all sorts of cool activities lined up, like an "evening wildlife watch" family canoe trip, and day camp for the boys on Saturday so Beloved and I can enjoy a (don't laugh!) Segway tour of the resort. You know, those stand-up motorized scooters? Now picture pregnant, naturally clumsy me on one of them - hilarity, if not trauma to innocent bystanders, is sure to ensue. Plus they have FOUR pools, EIGHT waterslides, a couple of different playgrounds, trail hiking, shopping... it's going to be a busy weekend! (Don't hate me; it's an embarrassment of riches, I know. I'm not worthy - but I still said yes!)


  • and last, but not least, the boys continue to make me laugh every single day. We haven't told them about the baby yet (the anticipation of the new school year is enough to make their little heads explode; I can't burden them with a five month wait when I can barely stand it myself) but we have been casually dropping babies into the conversation a lot lately. The other night at bedtime, the boys spontaneously started talking about having a baby brother or sister. Tristan's preference is for a baby boy, whom he thinks should be named "Joe Joe". Simon, on the other hand, favours a baby sister, and he insists her name should be "Darth Luke". Note to self: don't engage the boys in the baby-naming process!


Now you go! What's making the sun shine in your world today? (But, please click over to the new blog location to leave your comments!)

Labels: