<$BlogItemControl$>

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

 

Welcome, Danis of the Internet!

When I was growing up, I was the only Danielle I knew. I was the only Danielle in my grade school, and there was one other one in my high school. Well, she was a Daniela, actually, but that's about as close as it got. When my folks won a trip to Paris when I was fifteen, my mom brought me back a gold charm with 'Danielle' written on it, simply because none of the personalized trinkets in late 1970s / early 1980s southern Ontario ever featured my name.

I remember being enthralled with the covers of Danielle Steel's books when I was young, because she was a Danielle and she was a writer. Even as a hopelessly romantic preteen, I couldn't stomach her writing - give me Stephen King any day! - but I could at least see she was making a living with words, and I knew I wanted to do that, too.

I was living here in Ottawa before I actually encountered another Dani. Ottawa, across the river from La Belle Provence, has a much higher concentration of French names, and now there are Danielles everywhere I go. One of my co-worker's daughters is named Dani, and there's another one who works in the IT branch of my organization.

Given that rudimentary analysis of the volume of Danis in my universe, it must be that every other Dani on the Internet has visited my blog this month. In the first seven days of November alone, I've had 41 hits on the keywords "Dani needs". Remember that meme?

I've met some really cool Dani bloggers, after they linked to me through the meme. There's Dani from the East coast, also a mom of two preschoolers. She's got a girl, though (she said covetously). She writes at The Yellow Wallpaper, a very funky-looking blog, and plays regularly in the comment sandbox.

There's another 30-something Dani from Long Island who writes a knit-blog at Yea, I Knit. (I'm beginning to think all the Danis have cooler blog designs than me. Hmmmm...)

Perhaps most endearing, I have found my inner 14 year old blogging thoughtfully more than 2000 km away. This Dani is a high school freshman in Forth Worth, Texas, and her profile includes the line, "I can do anything I put my mind to." She's smart, thoughtful, and she's a competent writer... but reading her blog is like reading me 20-odd years ago, and it feels so very odd!

Who knew there were so many Danis out there? Welcome! Maybe we could form a Dani Blog Ring or something?