<$BlogItemControl$>

Friday, December 22, 2006

 

Festive cocktail party comment game

I'm so excited! Today is the kids' Christmas party at work, one of my favourite parts of the holiday season. Beloved is bringing the boys in within the hour.

I've learned my lesson after last year's Santa gift fiasco, and this year Santa will give them each the same toy. Not only that, but Santa himself will be presenting (get it? yuk yuk yuk) the one thing they both consistently asked for this year: Lightning McQueen and Mater from the movie Cars. The sum of their hearts' desires in less than $10 worth of dinky cars... directly from Santa himself. I can't wait!

So, to celebrate the season, and because it's Friday and I've got nothing else in my bag of tricks, and because I've been enjoying your collective company so much this week, let's play the cocktail party comment game, with a holiday twist. It's simple: each person who comments will answer the question in the comment directly before theirs, and then pose a question of their own for the next person. Each comment will have an answer, then a question. Try to keep it on a festive theme. For example, what's your favourite Christmas song? What's the best gift you ever got? What was the most embarrassing Christmas moment ever?

Here's a Christmas anecdote to start us off. I was probably six or seven years old. Just before Christmas, a lot of the presents were under the tree already, and I was snooping through them. I picked one up and realized I could see through the paper. I was horrified to realize it was a Jamie Sommers/Bionic Woman doll. I think I had expressed a passing interest in it at one point, but by that Christmas I didn't want it anymore. I was so disappointed not only to have ruined the surprise, but to know I was getting something I didn't really want. Because she was slightly larger than the other Barbies, and because I didn't really like her, and because what I had really been coveting was a Ken doll - which I never got, by the way - from that point on I always made Jamie Summers be the boy doll. And to this day, I never snoop in my Christmas gifts. Never.

Now it's your turn. What's the best gift you've ever given?

Labels: